Wearing a durag is a great fashion statement, it allows you to complete a great look, while also expressing yourself the way you want. It can also help you keep a fresh look while also maintaining your hair tidy. With that in mind, tying a durag is not as hard as you might imagine. You can try a variety of techniques and see which one works for you.
5 steps you need to use in order to tie a durag
1. Start by turning the durag inside out. You want the seam that’s in the middle to stick up and be on the outside of the durag. If you don’t focus on that, then you will have a strange seam imprint in your hair, so that’s certainly something you want to avoid.
2. Now you want to add the durag on your head similar to a hood. The flag should hang along your neck, while the front stays over the eyebrows.
3. At this point, you want to take a string in each hand and then you want to tie them together at the back of your head. Make sure that you tie everything properly so it won’t fall off. At the same time, you don’t want to tie too much, since it can lead to a headache.
4. After you do that, you take a string in each of your hands and then cross them at the forehead. The idea here is to return to the back of your head towards the opposite side
5. In the end, you want to tie the string in a knot, right at the back of your head. You do want to straighten the fabric and pull it tightly. There shouldn’t be any polyester here, the method works great with silk durags.
Why is it a good idea to wear a durag?
One of the core advantages of having a durag is that you get compression on your hair, which will encourage the appearance of natural waves. On top of that, you want one because it protects your hair from pollutants, not to mention it keeps it moist at all times. In case you have braids, a durag is ideal because it will keep them in place, while also protecting them from any kind of damage.
Wearing one during the hot summer days will also protect your hair from UV rays, which can be very problematic more often than not. Plus, you can accessorize it and wear without a problem regardless of the style. You can wear it with brooches and jewels, you can have it under a hat or even wear it alone.